ANNOUNCING THE EBOL 2019/2020
YOUNG ARTISTS SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS COMPETITION
7 Scholarships Awarded
1st Prize: $1,600.00
The Board of Directors of the EAST BAY OPERA LEAGUE announces the 2019/2020 ANNUAL YOUNG ARTIST SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS COMPETITION.
Click to download application packet here.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 22, 2019. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Application Fee: $25 / Make checks payable to “EBOL Scholarship Fund.”
Preliminary Qualifying Auditions: Saturday, March 30, 2019 between 9am and 3pm
Final Auditions: Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 12pm (Noon)
Place: All auditions held at ZION LUTHERAN CHURCH, 5201 Park Blvd., Piedmont, CA 94611.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS & GUIDELINES
- Applicants must be San Francisco Bay Area/Northern California residents
- Age requirement: Men and Women 17-32 years of age.
- Applicant must possess Classically Trained Voice.
- Applicant must be actively taking voice lessons by a certified teacher.
- Previous EBOL scholarship winners are not eligible to apply.
- Artists who have previously auditioned for EBOL scholarship competition, but who did not win a scholarship, are eligible to audition again.
- Applicants who are relatives or students of any one of the judges, are not eligible to enter the competition.
- All scholarship applicants must compete in the preliminary qualifying auditions to be eligible for the final auditions.
- Contestants may win an award from the EBOL Scholarship Competition only once.
- All scholarship winners are required to perform at one of the EBOL events scheduled throughout the year (See Audition Letter of Agreement).
- Final auditions for competing artists will be judged by qualified and impartial judges who have been selected by the Scholarship Committee.
- EBOL will provide an accompanist for all contestants.
- Please bring your own, bound music in the correct key for the accompanist.
Audition Repertoire Requirements
- Each contestant must be prepared to sing at least three (3) operatic arias in three (3) different languages and in contrasting styles.
- One aria must be by Mozart.
- Each aria must be sung in its original language.
- Vocal technique and beauty of tone
- Artistry and musicality
- Stage presentation skills, including physical appearance and showmanship
- Career Potential
- Payments will be made directly to the voice teachers for lessons, or to the vocal coaches for coaching sessions.
- It is the responsibility of the voice teacher or vocal coach to invoice the EBOL Scholarship Fund Trustee for reimbursement.
- Awards are NOT paid directly to singers or piano accompanists.
HOW TO APPLY
• Download Audition Packet from EBOL Website at http://www.eastbayoperaleague.org/auditions/
• Please TYPE to complete form before signing
• Include check for $20 payable to “EBOL Scholarship Fund.”
Application materials must include:
1) Completed Application Form
2) Completed Judges Form
3) Signed Audition Letter of Agreement
4) Letter of Recommendation from qualified, certified voice teacher
5) Current resume
6) Current biography
7) 8 x 10 Headshot or Publicity Photo (no production photos)
Mail completed application to:
Marilyn Kosinski, Chairperson
Young Artist Scholarship Awards, East Bay Opera League
3871 Piedmont Ave, #111 Oakland, CA 94611.
- Application materials must be received on or before Friday, March 22, 2019 with $20 application fee. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Audition applicants must CALL (510) 530-2962 AFTER March 11, 2019 TO SCHEDULE AN AUDITION TIME. Audition times are assigned by your request, according to the order in which they are received. If you know you are definitely going to apply, please call as soon as possible in order to get your desired audition time. Do not wait until the last minute.
- FORMS are fillable. Please download forms, then type in all needed information within the tables/boxes provided.